Re: Adding a polkit-service to fix networkmanager

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Adding a polkit-service to fix networkmanager
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 12:10:35 +0200

Hello,

Adam Mazurkiewicz <address@hidden> writes:

> I installed networkmanager in my Xfce Desktop Environment, but it did
> not allow to add new connections. A message was "Insufficient
> privileges". After some googling I got to conclusion that the polkit
> service is needed to fix it. Now I am trying to add the polkit-service
> in the way I have seen at some config.scm examples from Google but an
> error "guix system: error: more than one target service of type
> 'polkit'" is appearing.
>
> I am a total newbe and I do not understand it. Help me please. Here
> you are my config.scm:
>
>   (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
>                    (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    (console-keymap-service "pl")
>                    (polkit-service)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
>   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
>   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

I think polkit-service is already included in %desktop-services, hence
the error.

I'm not totally fluent with Guix services so I might be wrong
but here is my understanding:
(polkit-service) just starts polkit. If you want to add polkit rules,
you therefore need to extend it (in the Shepherd way) by giving it a
list of packages including those polkit rules. There quite a few
examples in /gnu/services/desktop.scm. The manual might also help to
understand syntax and how services work.

But here is what I do to get ad-hoc polkit rules in my config:

(services
    (cons*

    ;; I manually declare a littles service that extends polkit
    (service (service-type
                (name 'ad-hoc-polkit)

                ;; The interesting part: Extending the polkit service
                (extensions
                (list (service-extension
                      polkit-service-type
                      (const (list
                      ;; Here is where you put the packages
                      gvfs
                      xfce-package-with-pokit-rules
                      )))))))
    %desktop-services))

I don't know which xfce package provides the polkit rules you need but
if it's really the problem, adding it to the packages list should do the
trick.

Have a nice day,

Lprndn