Re: guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm or my-config.scm

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm or my-config.scm
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 21:18:33 +0200

Hiya Sirgazil,

sirgazil wrote:
So, should one do the following instead?

    $ emacs ~/path/to/my-config.scm
    Modify the file to your liking
$ guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure ~/path/to/my-config.scm

Oh, it doesn't matter.

This file can be whatever and wherever you want it to be (mine's /etc/guix/system.scm because eww ‘config’). It's in /etc by default since that's where most people will expect it and it's the Unixly-correct place to put system-wide configuration files, and this is the mother of all system-wide configuration files :-)

Now, to be blunt, I don't think

“The normal way to change the system configuration is by updating this file and re-running ‘guix system reconfigure’. One should never have
  to touch files in ‘/etc’[.]”

can reasonably be read as self-contradictory, but if you want to add an ‘other’ at the end I don't think anyone will object!

Kind regards,

T G-R