question re. packaging, build, init and shepherd

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: question re. packaging, build, init and shepherd
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 12:07:41 -0400

The GUIX documentation is great when it comes to installing GUIX, and then installing packaged software.

It's not so clear on how do install software that isn't in the package repository - whether by creating a package, or via the classic ./configure;make;make install, or if there are tools that can bring classically installed software under package management (e.g., the Debian alien tool).

And then there's the question of init systems:  Until systemd came along, ./configure;make;make install generally just works - leaving init files in the right places, starting up daemons, etc.

Which leads to the question of, if I want to install something complicated in GUIX - say the Sympa list manager (to pick a non-random example), which comes with standard sysvinit scripts - can I just ./configure;make;make install?  Does Shepherd do the right thing with sysvinit scripts?  Can I invoke them through Shepherd (e.g, after a config change)?  Can I still edit & invoke the init scripts in the classic ways (vi, /etc/init.d/<foo> restart).

---

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking at GUIX as an alternative to the various distributions that have gone down the systemd rathole - particularly those of us who run Linux in production server environments that have been heavily customized over the years.  GUIX seems to be reaching a maturity level where it can be considered for production use - but there's an awful paucity of information that might let us evaluate it.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown