Re: good overview presentation?

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: good overview presentation?
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 17:42:39 -0400

Thanks Chris,

A couple of follow-ups:

On 5/9/19 12:39 PM, Christopher Baines wrote:

1: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks

There's also two talks [2] which I've given in the past on Guix, they're
a few years old, but I think most of the material is still correct.

Silly me, but how does one view these things?  The ones labeled with .pdf extensions come across as ascii files, that can't be read as pdf, and others look like they have to be assembled.

These are pretty good, and helpful - but they do raise a key question:

2: https://www.cbaines.net/projects/guix/

The FOSDEM 2018 one is shorter, and higher level [3].

3: https://www.cbaines.net/projects/guix/fosdem-2018/presentation/#/

The Freenode live! 2017 one is longer and more technical [4].

4: https://www.cbaines.net/projects/guix/freenode-live-2017/presentation/#/

From the slides, it looks like GUIX keeps track of dependencies, but there's no discussion about how dependencies are identified, included in the package definitions, or resolved at install time. Details (or pointer) please!

Thanks Again,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown