Re: good overview presentation?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: good overview presentation?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 09:37:07 +0200

Hello Miles,

Miles Fidelman <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Chris,
>
> A couple of follow-ups:
>
> On 5/9/19 12:39 PM, Christopher Baines wrote:
>>
>> 1: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks
>>
>> There's also two talks [2] which I've given in the past on Guix, they're
>> a few years old, but I think most of the material is still correct.
>>
> Silly me, but how does one view these things?  The ones labeled with
> .pdf extensions come across as ascii files, that can't be read as pdf,

maintenance.git and its cgit interface is not it's not intended as a
"site substitute", it's an anchive where Guix developers share common
work in the community

...anyway, for each media-like file there is a "plain" labelled link
near the blob code, right above the table with hex and ascii code of the
git object: that link will download the file

> and others look like they have to be assembled.

yes, the rationale to include or ignore media artifacts is not clear to
me: I'd include only sources, publishing artifacts on a dedicated static
web page... or move talks out from maintenance.git to a dedicated git
repo like guix/talks.git (like the existing guix/videos.git), publishing
them to the web

[...]

> From the slides, it looks like GUIX keeps track of dependencies, but
> there's no discussion about how dependencies are identified, included in
> the package definitions, or resolved at install time. Details (or
> pointer) please!

for services:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Service-Composition.html

for packages: