Re: Keeping just grub.cfg for a bootloader

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: Keeping just grub.cfg for a bootloader
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 09:19:23 +0000

> Hello fellow Guix folks!
>
> I'm planning a switch to a Guix system and have a question i couldn't
> answer myself - is it possible to keep just the grub.cfg instead of full
> GRUB install? I'd rather have GRUB installed as a payload with Coreboot
> and maintain it's configuration with `guix system`, so that the whole
> disk could be encrypted.
>
> I'd appreciate any tips!

Hello Vasilii!

I had this very same situation, as I am using libreboot which has grub payload.
You can use the following code snippet for your "bootloader" part of your
system configuration.

        (bootloader
                (bootloader-configuration
                        (bootloader
                                (bootloader
                                        (inherit grub-bootloader)
                                        (installer #~(const #t))))))

This will generate and manage "grub.cfg" without installing grub bootloader on
your disk. Thanks to Guix Folk, Clement, who helped me with that code.

Regards,
RG.