Re: use case: installing several user administrated workstations

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: use case: installing several user administrated workstations
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 17:54:50 +0200

On 2019-05-13 23:19, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
Dear community:

I have noticed Guix System Distribution (I like to abreviate it GSD) is
great for having a predictable, hackable system, which is entirely
auditable. I like this. It is like making your own ... anything (car,
house, clothes,etc). It gives you great power and endless possibilities
of creativity, sharing and learning.

When I think of installing GSD on user machines that I will never see
again (as at an installfest), I feel certain unease. It is so because I
have had to change my desktop.scm system configuration file every time I
want to update my whole operating system. That is a task that no end
user will ever be able to do.

Is there a way that when I run 'sudo guix system reconfigure
desktop.scm', the user (system admin for his machine) can take the
current config and make a new config file (desktop1.scm) with the new
synthax? It is, of course, impossible without a translation from what
was intended in desktop.scm to what is the current situation when
creating desktop1.scm.

Not to my knowledge.

Guix System is not IMHO ready for people who are not interested in learning enough guile to write/correct/adapt a config.scm.

We/someone have yet to make gui tools to handle the reconfiguring of the system easier for non-tech users.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia