Re: Trying to contribute packages: ./pre-inst-env doesn't work

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Trying to contribute packages: ./pre-inst-env doesn't work
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:04:51 +0200

Doron Behar <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 12:46:30PM +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>> > I ran the guix-daemon command:
>> >
>> > sudo -E ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
>> >

>> This should only be needed if you don't run it from a service manager.
>> Changes to the daemon are rare, and most of the times you should be
>> able to use the old daemon. But this should not cause a problem either.
>
> This what the docs say.

The Contributing section only says that you *can* run all of the tools
even before installation.  It’s not wrong and in cases when you *don’t*
have a daemon running at all it is the right thing to do, but I agree
that in the more common case where you already *have* Guix it is
probably more confusing.

> There's so much room for improvements...

Do you have a constructive suggestion for improving this section of the
manual?

--
Ricardo