Re: Initial variables value?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Initial variables value?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 16:44:59 +0200

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

> There are different ways to find these values. You can grep through the code
> from https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git for the web version). You can
> also run `guix repl` and type the variable name (you might need to import
> some modules before, I didn't check). Most of the time however, these
> variables are explained in the manual.
>
> For %desktop-services, the actual definition is around here:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1047
>
> For default values of records, you'll have look at the code or the manual.
> Services are defined in gnu/services/*.scm.

If you use Emacs and Emacs-Guix, you can also run:

  M-x guix-default-services

which is really handy.

Another trick is to run:

  guix system extension-graph /path/to/your/config.scm | dot -Tpdf > t.pdf
  evince t.pdf

to view the “service extension graph” for your OS configuration.  That
should give you an idea of what’s included and how these bits interact
with one another.

HTH!

Ludo’.