Re: btrfs raid configuration vs mdraid

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: btrfs raid configuration vs mdraid
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 10:25:44 +0200

Hi Fredrik,

Fredrik Salomonsson <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> Assuming I'm going to format the root filesystem as:
>>
>>   mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d raid1 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3
>>
>> how should I configure (file-system...)? this way:
>>
>> (file-system
>>   (mount-point "/")
>>   (type "btrfs")
>>   (device (uuid "4dab5feb-d176-45de-b287-9b0a6e4c01cb")))
>>
>> with UUID taken from "lsblk -f"?
>
> That should work.

I confirm it worked, easily! :-)

[...]

> One thing you should note is that guix might generate incorrect
> paths for grub if you are using subvolumes. At least guix < 1.0 does
> that for me, haven't tested 1.0+ yet. But I have been using a shell
> script that works around that issue.

I did not use root on a subvolume for my installation, but I'll try to
reproduce it in a test install: can you please file a bug report for
this, IMHO this should be fixed

>> From you experience is RAID on brtfs as solid as the one on mdadm?
>
> I have very little experience with mdadm, so can only speak of my
> experience with btrfs and RAID-1. Which I have been using for 3+ years.
> For me it has been solid. Only issue I have encountered was when my
> fileserver lost power a few times leaving the filesystem corrupt. A
> "btrfs check --repair" fixed that issue.

Thanks for sharing! You give me courage to adopt btrfs more extensively
:-)

Best regards, Gio'.

[...]

--