Re: Guixsd adds 2 hours to a BIOS time

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Guixsd adds 2 hours to a BIOS time
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 22:38:03 +0200

Adam,

Adam Mazurkiewicz wrote:
I live in Poland and I set time in config.scm in this way:
(...)
(operating-system
  (host-name "s")
  (timezone "Europe/Warsaw")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "pl"))
(...)
Then I changed Warsaw to Paris because both have the same timezone and
DST (Daylight Saving Time).

In both cases, Warsaw and Paris, Guixsd added two hours to the time that was set in computer BIOS. So the 'date' command in the terminal
gave wrong time, to hours later.

This all sounds very… correct, to be honest.

Your ‘BIOS’ (hardware) clock should always be set to UTC, not your local time. Imagine your computer moving its CMOS clock forward & back twice a year. Or every time you travel to a different timezone. It would look as silly and confused as the rest of us.

Put differently: the time displayed in your computer firmware's setup utility *should* be 2 hours behind your watch. This is what all modern operating systems (even Windows, I've been told, if you ask it nicely) and other software expect. It's not specific to Guix System¹.

Judging by the fact that your e-mail arrived tomorrow, I'm guessing that's not currently the case.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[1]: Previously known as ‘GuixSD’.