Re: fetching git submodule using (uri (recursive? #t))

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: fetching git submodule using (uri (recursive? #t))
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 23:30:11 +0100

on [2019-05-28] at 14:18 I wrote:

> I am trying to build this package that uses git submodules but the
> (recursive? #t) doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks to bavier and reepca on IRC #guix who figured out this happens
when the package definition is changed (by e.g., adding "(recursive?
#t)") but the hash is not updated.  This causes guix to think,
reasonably, that it already has the source in /gnu/store/the_hash-etc
because the_hash hasn't changed since the last time it was fetched.

To fix, just remove the source from the store before trying again:

$ guix gc -d /gnu/store/the_hash-etc

(N.B. the "-d" above might have changed to "-D")

Additionally, when developing a package, reepca suggested making a
random change to the hash just so guix knows it needs to get the source
again, and it will suggested the real hash to put in the package
definition.

Myles