emacs play-sound-file: No usable sound device driver found

From: Jeff Bauer
Subject: emacs play-sound-file: No usable sound device driver found
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 04:37:35 -0500

I've installed emacs 26.2 from the guix package
onto a foreign debian distro.  Mostly everything
appears to work fine, but play-sound-file causes:

"No usable sound device driver found"

I've installed alsa-lib and aplay -l produces:

card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]

The debian version has no problem playing sound.  Is
there a library install I'm missing?  Thanks.

-Jeff