Re: Computer suspends even when I tell it not to

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Computer suspends even when I tell it not to
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:24:46 -0400

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> I've noticed that my Guix System computer suspends if I leave it alone
> for a couple hours.  It's plugged in.  This is annoying, since sometimes
> I want to SSH into this computer, and I can't do that if it's suspended.
>
> I don't understand why it suspends.  I've run guix pull recently, so
> it's up to date.  I use GNOME.  In the GNOME settings' "Power" section,
> I've explicitly set "Automatic suspend" to "Off".  However, it still
> suspends automatically after a while.

FWIW, I've never seen this on my Thinkpad X200 running Guix.  I also use
GNOME, although I use it under Wayland, by running

  XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland exec dbus-run-session gnome-session

from within a text console.  I don't use GDM, because our GDM package
does not yet support Wayland.

Note that GDM is enabled in my OS config and gets launched on every
boot, but I then shut it down manually using "herd stop xorg-server".
After doing so, I need to type "Alt+SysRq+r" to recover the use of my
keyboard.

> Does anyone else experience this?  What else can I try?

It might be worth trying to do what I describe above, to rule out the
possibility that GDM is responsible.

What kind of machine is it?  If it's a laptop, I wonder if your laptop's
embedded controller is entering suspend mode automatically.

      Regards,
        Mark