Re: How to set default screen brightness?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: How to set default screen brightness?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 19:41:13 +0200

Jesse,

Jesse Gibbons wrote:
My Librem 13 laptop battery lasts much longer with a lower screen brightness. When it runs gnome on guix (and I haven't tried any other de) I have to turn down the brightness every time. This is not so with
my other partition running PureOS. Is there a way to configure a
default screen brightness in guix/gnome?

Guix doesn't have a notion of ‘default’ screen brightness because it doesn't know anything about brightness.

My guess is that PureOS uses systemd; systemd provides a backlight.service that reads the backlight brightness at shutdown, stores it to disc, and writes that value back to the device at next start-up.

It would be a relatively trivial service to add, but that hasn't been done yet :-)

We do already provide a simple, script-friendly abstraction tool¹:

 $ guix install light
 $ sudo light -S 50 # percentage

It can even run setuid.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[1]: As opposed to manually reading and writing `find /sys -path *backlight*brightness*`.