Re: Installing Guix from source

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Installing Guix from source
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 19:24:50 +0200

"Reza Alizadeh Majd" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I tried to build Guix from source on an existing version of GuixSD.  so I
> followed
> the instructions provided in official documents:
>
> https://guix.info/manual/en/html_node/Requirements.html
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html
>
> after build finished, I had two versions of Guix on my machine, the old one
> which
> is located in store, and the new one  which is installed in `/usr/local/bin`.
>
> the problem is that the old instance of guix is detected as default on my
> machine.
> since I performed a series of  modifications on this new version, like
> changing the
> default channels and substitute servers, I need to replace old instance of
> Guix
> completely with this new one.
>
> Does anyone knows how can I perform this replacement?

If you have made git commits out of your changes, you can do `guix pull
 --url=/your/guix/checkout`.  Otherwise you can use the './pre-inst-env'
 script, as described in the link above.

"./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure my-config.scm" will create a new
system generation using only code from the git repository.