Re: extending a service to create an extra directory

From: Robert Vollmert
Subject: Re: extending a service to create an extra directory
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:57:31 +0200

On 20. Jul 2019, at 08:18, Reza Alizadeh Majd <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, at 6:30 PM, Robert Vollmert wrote:
>>
>> I’m trying to set up nginx properly, and my config involves a
>> cache directory, say /var/nginx/cache. To encode this properly,
>> I’d like to to make my nginx service create that directory
>> with appropriate user and rights on service activation. I can’t
>> figure out how to do that without assembling a whole new service
>> out of the parts of the existing nginx-service. There must be a
>> more reasonable way?
>
> It seems that proper way to do this is to define a new service for
> activating cache directory. since it was defined previously on Guix
> CI server:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/modules/sysadmin/services.scm#n221

Thanks for the pointer. Even apart from my concrete issue here, reading
a complete worked config is very helpful — would be great if the manual
contained such (or a link to some examples).

The particular example of using a simple-service of activation-service-type
is also helpful; it will work for me for now.

It bothers me a bit that this activation action isn’t “part” of the nginx
services activation. I could see nginx activation fail if the cache directory
service didn’t happen to run first. Might this be solved be by adding a
shepherd “requirement”?

Cheers
Robert