Re: Trying to install Guix System on a nonfree computer, the system frez

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Trying to install Guix System on a nonfree computer, the system frezees at booting, bug?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 07:20:52 +0200

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:35:23AM +0200, Jan wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to install Guix System on the following computer:Ryzen 5
> 1600MSI pcmate B350ADATA SX7000NP - it's a NVMe SSDThe problem is
> installation finishes successfully, but after rebooting and trying to start
> the system it freezes like on a screenshot attached below. I asked on the IRC
> and a person told me Guix System often works on almost all machines and I
> should check /var/log/messages, but then the person disappeared, but I have
> the log. I don't know if it's a bug or that's my nonfree hardware, so I
> posted the issue here. --Jan

I suppose this is a common problem with AMD GPUs.  I had more success
on my old AMD GPU after changing /etc/config.scm to use

(service slim-service-type)
(remove (lambda (service)
          (eq? (service-kind service) gdm-service-type))
        %desktop-services)

or similar and then reconfiguring, see `info guix`, section on
slim-service-type.

In order to edit /etc/config.scm using the virtual console, you may
need to when booting in GRUB press e and add modprobe.blacklist=radeon
or modprobe.blacklist=amdgpu to GRUB’s linux line.