Re: Problem with Guix install with openbox

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Problem with Guix install with openbox
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:03:26 -0400

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Asteroth <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> As a former Guile programmer I like the idea to configure my system using
> guile.
> I installed Guix in a vm (VmwareFusion I have to admit) and everything
> worked fine.
> I used the graphical installer and chose Openbox as a Windowmanager-Option.
> Unfortunately after Installation the desktop is empty and right-click
> menu contains only dead links.

The last time I looked at our Openbox package, I noticed that it uses a
default menu configuration.  That means it has links to stuff like
Firefox, even though we don’t have a Firefox package.

You will have to edit the Openbox menu configuration to point to
programs that you have in your profile.  If memory serves, it’s at
“~/.config/openbox/menu.xml”.  There, you can tell it how to launch
programs, so you could fix the “emacs” entry to point to
“~/.guix-profile/bin/emacs”, for example.  :)

You will have to get started from the console, because Openbox will not
know how to open any terminal emulators.

> I also tride installing lxde afterwards with no options effect.
> Any hint what I can do to solve the issue?
> Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don’t know about LXDE.  Just to be sure, how did you
“install” LXDE?  Did you include it in your operating system
configuration and then run “guix system reconfigure config.scm”?

-- Tim