Re: Xfce4 localization in Guix System for only one exact user

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Xfce4 localization in Guix System for only one exact user
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 08:01:28 +0800

address@hidden writes:

> Yes, Julien, you are right!
> Changing config file to this:
>
> (operating-system ...
>                   (locale "ru_RU.utf8"))
>
> and running as root:
>
> # guix pull
> # guix package -u
> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> # guix package -u
>
> made all my applications work on Russian: Xfce, Gimp, LibreOffice, Audacity
> and so on:
>
> http://0x0.st/zOsk.png

Yes, this changes the "LANG" system wide, in /etc/environment.

> But the next question is: how to make Russian environment only for defined
> user, not for all users?
>
> You said, my DM may have it. I use Slim and did not found such
> configs. Also `guix search xfce` did not display something like
> xfce4-settings. And I did not found language settings in xfce settings
> manager.
>
> My question rests unanswered.

You can create a ‘.xsession’ file in that user’s home directory, with
something like:

    #!/bin/sh
    export LANG=ru_RU.utf8
    exec "$@"

And make it executable by "chmod +x ~/.xsession".  Then when that user
login, the ‘.xsession’ will be executed.  Hope this helps!