Re: network-manager-openconnect setup

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: network-manager-openconnect setup
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:24:06 -0400

"Santana, Divan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Bonus points for anyone who knows why when I copy and paste into Emacs I
> get these weird characters.
>
>    588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)

The weird characters above, "…", should be a "HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS"
character "…" with unicode scalar value U+2026.  In the UTF-8 encoding,
the horizontal ellipsis is represented by three bytes with hex codes E2,
80, and A6.  The three weird characters "…" are what you get when
those three bytes are misinterpreted as Latin-1, a.k.a. ISO-8859-1
encoding.

Guile only outputs Unicode HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS in backtraces if your
current locale has an encoding for that character.  Otherwise, it will
print three ASCII periods ("...") instead.  So, it appears that your
locale environment variables (the ones printed by the "locale" command)
are configured for a UTF-8 locale.

I guess that somewhere else in your system, something is configured to
use Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding.  It could be Emacs itself, or perhaps
your terminal emulator.

       Mark