Re: Import of bioconductor data packages.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Import of bioconductor data packages.
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 22:56:57 +0200

Hi Philippe,

> I am trying to import a bioconductor package that depends on a bioconductor
> data package. While the command for the software package works fine :
>
> guix import cran --archive=bioconductor ChIPQC
>
> the one for the data package doesn't :
>
> $ guix import cran --archive=bioconductor TxDb.Celegans.UCSC.ce6.ensGene
> error: failed to retrieve package information from "
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/TxDb.Celegans.UCSC.ce6.ensGene/DESCRIPTION":
> 404 ("Not Found")

I think we may be able to work around this.  In the past we fetched the
DESCRIPTION file directly via HTTP.  This wasn’t possible for data
packages as they were not stored in the shared SVN repository, and the
DESCRIPTION files thus were not available via HTTP.

When Bioconductor retired their SVN repository we switched to
downloading the target tarball and extracting the DESCRIPTION file from
there.  We aren’t doing this for experiment or data packages yet, but I
think we can easily fix this now.

I’ll give this a shot soon.

--
Ricardo