Re: Setting environment variables in Gnome session

From: Jonathan Frederickson
Subject: Re: Setting environment variables in Gnome session
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 00:06:55 -0400

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 9:15 PM, Timothy Sample <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes.  Because Bash is your login shell, it gets invoked as part of
spawning your X session.  Because of this, Bash-specific configuration
files affect your X session’s environment.

Oh, interesting! You're right - I did not realize that would happen.

And that was indeed the solution, although I made a mistake at the time. I'd initially put that line in bashrc instead while trying things, then saw that bash_profile sourced bashrc so assumed it'd do the same. I missed, however, that bashrc returned earlier in the file if running in a noninteractive shell, so my additions were never reached while spawning the X session.

Thank you for the help, and sorry for the run-around!