Re: cannot boot with BTRFS in degraded mode

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: cannot boot with BTRFS in degraded mode
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 11:47:09 +0200

Hello Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Fixing the Grub config (manually or not) is one thing, but not enough,
> as it is the init script (contained within the initrd)

Yes I was obviously wrong: the initrd must be updated, also!

> run by the kernel
> that mounts the root partition.  This script currently doesn't honor the
> rootflags= argument given to the Linux kernel command line, which means
> that you cannot pass extra options (such as 'degraded') to mount your
> root partition during the early boot process of the system.

Yes, now I understand, thanks!

>> Anyway, with the help of a friend, in a few hours we are going to test
>> this solution :-)
>
> Good luck!

The only viable solution to this problem is to boot a rescue system and
fix the BTRFS array there: I'm doing it now via grml (remotely via ssh
with the help of a friend who "manually" started the network and ssh
daemon)

For the records, this is what I did:

1. btrfs replace start 5 /dev/sde /target (since the missimg one was the
5th)

2. btrfs replace status /target

it took less then 10 mins to replace a 1TB disk with 76.28GiB used:

Started on  6.Sep 09:21:44, finished on  6.Sep 09:40:45, 0 write errs, 0
uncorr. read errs

[...]

Thank you again for your support! Gio'

--