Re: WindowMaker

From: Weldon Goree
Subject: Re: WindowMaker
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 16:19:47 +0200

On Sat, 07 Sep 2019 10:09:13 +0000
address@hidden wrote:

> I can manage to install
> the minimal Guix System but am unable to get Xorg, a login manager or
> windowmaker running.

With the caveat that I have never been able to make the graphical
install mode work, if you follow the shell-based install instructions
there is a point where you copy a file from /etc/configuration
to /mnt/etc/config.scm. There are a couple of examples
in /etc/configuration that you can choose; of interest to you would
probably be /etc/configuration/lightweight-desktop.scm.

The "big" part of this file will be an (operating-system ... ) form.
One of its components will be a (packages ... ) form, which will be
something like this:

  (packages (append (list
                     ;; window managers
                     ratpoison i3-wm i3status dmenu
                     ;; for HTTPS access
                     nss-certs)
%base-packages))

Replace ratpoison and i3 with windowmaker, so:

  (packages (append (list
                     ;; window managers
                     windowmaker dmenu
                     ;; for HTTPS access
                     nss-certs)
%base-packages))

(I find dmenu useful in Windowmaker so I kept it in.)

You will also need to edit a line early in the file,

(use-package-modules bootloaders certs ratpoison suckless wm)

(use-package-modules bootloaders certs suckless gnustep)

Those two edits to the lightweight-desktop.scm file will give you an X
Server and GDM3 login manager with the Windowmaker desktop
environment. (In other news, I'm working on packaging wdm and several
more dockapps.)

Best of luck,
Weldon