OpenGL applications crash entire system (foreign distro)

From: HiPhish
Subject: OpenGL applications crash entire system (foreign distro)
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2019 13:35:58 +0200

Hello Guix,

I have noticed that on my foreign distro (Kubuntu 19.04) running an OpenGL
application crashes the entire system. First everything becomes unresponsive
(except the mouse cursor), then the screen goes off and on and eventually I'm
logged out, but even after logging back in everything is messed up. The only
way out is to hard-reset the computer (hold down power button until the power
goes off) and restart.

I have noticed this behaviour first when I followed the Learn OpenGL Tutorial
(first lesson involving actual OpenGL[1]), but I thought that maybe I was doing
something wrong or that the fault was with my system (I'm using the packages
glfw, gcc-toolchain and mesa in a Guix environment). Then today I tried the
Kitty terminal emulator (package kitty) and the same thing happened.

However, after I installed Kitty through APT it works perfectly fine, so the
problem is in the packages that Guix installs. I can live with a slightly
outdated Kitty, but the Guix environment is the real killer feature I don't
want to miss.

Is there anything that can be used to track down and fix the issue? I would
guess that it's because of the mesa package, but that's just a guess. My
system specs:

OS: Ubuntu 19.04 x86_64
Kernel: 5.0.0-27-generic
DE: KDE
WM: KWin
CPU: Intel i5 650 (4) @ 3.201GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM
Memory: 2442MiB / 5949MiB

Thanks for your time.

[1] https://learnopengl.com/Getting-started/Hello-Window