Re: Looking for Guix alternative to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build

From: Hebi Li
Subject: Re: Looking for Guix alternative to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 22:21:14 -0500

Thanks, I've managed to use linux-module-build-system to build the
module, and I got the output
/gnu/store/...my-module-0.0.1/extra/xxx.ko. I can load the module via
insmod with the full path.

Now I want to load the module via modprobe, instead of specifying the
full path. For that, I need to place the .ko file in the modprobe
search directory. I notice that in
gnu/packages/patches/kmod-module-directory.patch, the modprobe is
modified to honor the LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY env variable, which is
set to /run/booted-system/kernel/lib/modules. However,
/run/booted-system/kernel/ is symlink to
/gnu/store/9rq5y83c9y1kplv6r7a2vksswyjzs57k-linux-libre-5.2.13, which
is read-only.

Further, it seems that modprobe can only scan exactly *one* directory,
be it from the LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY env variable, or the original
hard coded "/lib/modules/"

So my question is, is it possible to let modprobe be aware of my
external module?

Hebi