Re: Question about Licenses.

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: Question about Licenses.
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:06:15 -0600

Hi Marinus,

On Sun, 2019-09-15 at 17:51 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> My name is Fanis and I am a new Guix user coming from Gentoo. I am
> very interested in the license around the packages I use and I can
> help but notice some inconsistencies.
> For example:
> kdenlive is GPL-2 in the gentoo repositories.
> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/kde-apps/kdenlive <https://packa
> ges.gentoo.org/packages/kde-apps/kdenlive>
> It also has a link to GPL-2 on their site:
> https://kdenlive.org/en/about/ <https://kdenlive.org/en/about/>
> But on Guix is GPL-2+.
>
> Is there a source I am not considering? The source is saying GPL-2 in
> the copying file too.

Just browsing the kdenlive cgit...

https://cgit.kde.org/kdenlive.git/tree/src/core.cpp
kdenlive has some GPL-3+ code in its repository.

https://cgit.kde.org/kdenlive.git/tree/src/capture/mltdevicecapture.cpp
kdenlive has some GPL-2+ code in its repository.

The license in the package definition should be a list including GPL-2+
and GPL-3+, and the kdenlive maintainers should update the README
file.

I usually search source for "(at your option)" (outside /COPYING
because the string is in the GNU licenses) to determine the license
specifics.

--
-Jesse