Re: How to make sure ghc uses installed packages?

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: How to make sure ghc uses installed packages?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 14:09:36 +0000

Hi Jesse,

> Why did ghc-random and ghc-regex-compat only work with ghc 8.4.3?

RIght now, most - if not all - ghc packages are built with ghc@8.4.3. GHC
will check the version it was compiled with and refuse to compile if there
is a mismatch between the object file and your project.
Now that I say that, I am not sure I am right. I get version mismatches
compiling xmonad, for instance, when i upgrade ghc to 8.6.
It would be really nice to get more packages up to 8.6. One solution might
be to use a channel with package definitions using your preferred version
of ghc.

One other problem I can think of is that the current ghc is 8.6 but most
ghc-* packages are built with 8.4 so most packages are incompatible with
the default.

- John