Re: enchant hash, fail to upgrade

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: enchant hash, fail to upgrade
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 12:11:21 +0200

Le 23 septembre 2019 00:38:39 GMT+02:00, Catriel <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Sorry I'm too tired to answer properly. Their is a section about
>contributing in the manual. Have you read that?
>>

>yes, but I was asking a way or methodology to modify packages from guix
>and using them even when they are dependencies. Because just defining a
>package doesn't seem to handle that situation very well. As opose to
>inheriting emacs package definition, calling it
>awesome-mario-bros-emacs, patching it, and installing it. I was not
>interested so much on the details of contributing.

I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. Honestly, I'm not sure how to do it. My
best answer is: get the repository, make your change, build it and use
./pre-inst-env.

>> As a workaround, you can try guix package -u
>> --with-source=enchant=`guix download …` where … is the url of the
>> sources you want to use. Iirc, it applies to dependencies
>recursively.
>>

>mmm the problem remaings the same. The source is accesible and
>downloads
>just fine, the issue here is with the package definition: it have a
>wrong sha256 (asuming that is the case and not a sec. vulnerability in
>upstream).
>
>So even if I download it manually and write:
>
>$guix upgrade --fallback --with-source=enchant=path-to-downloaded-file
>
>it's equivalent to let guix download the package by itself. When it
>tries to build the derivation the sha256 mismatch aborts the upgrade.

That's weird: enchant should be replaced everywhere and build with the new
source, it shouldn't even look for a hash. The file is available at the ci
server though, so maybe check your substitute servers? You can download it
directly at
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/wsyfm5avik0wvh82gyxw9acbixp0ygbp-enchant-2.2.5.tar.gz

I'll update to 2.2.7 when I have access to my gpg key, so the problem should be
fixed after that. The 2.2.5 release was made twice by accident, which overwrote
the old tarball. The new 2.2.5 tarball actually is the 2.2.6 release. See
https://github.com/AbiWord/enchant/pull/221 fos details.