Re: spacemacs doesn't have the correct PATH when I change HOME

From: Jeff Bauer
Subject: Re: spacemacs doesn't have the correct PATH when I change HOME
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 08:09:37 -0500

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 04:44:12PM -0600, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
> I need spacemacs for a class, but I want to keep my emacs settings, so I
> setup a script as described in the FAQ to separate emacs from spacemacs. The
> script sets HOME to $HOME/spacemacs and calls emacs. It appears that guix
> recalculates PATH when I call the script, so it cannot packages like git in
> my profile.
> I have identified three possible solutions, but I need a little information
> to accomplish each:
> 1. Is there a way to preserve my profile in the PATH environment variable? I
> tried $HOME/spacemacs/.bashrc but it isn't called. (solution 0)
> 2. Is there a way to setup a local profile in $HOME/spacemacs so emacs will
> be able to locate the packages it needs? (solution 1)
> 3. How hard would it be to define a spacemacs package with the binary
> renamed "spacemacs" so I won't have to use the script? (solution 2)

Jesse:

I'm using spacemacs with guix, but not dual emacs/spacemacs.  Some
resources (which you may have already encountered):

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacemacs/comments/88poow/how_can_i_run_spacemacs_and_emacs_side_by_side/

(ihsec = I hate switching emacs environments)

https://github.com/daedreth/ihsec

I don't think your 3rd approach makes sense, as spacemacs
is just emacs with a different configuration.

-Jeff