Re: Guix installing different package versions on different machines

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: Guix installing different package versions on different machines
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 07:48:46 -0600

On Sat, 2019-09-28 at 15:02 +0200, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
> Hi Guix users!
>
> I installed Guix on my own machine (Xubuntu 18.04.3) and at work on my
> machine (Ubuntu 18.04.3). Although I do `guix pull` and then `guix
> package -u`, both machines get different versions of packages installed
> this way. I have seen 2 examples of this behavior so far: Emacs (home:
> 26.1, work: 26.3) and Guile (home: 2.2.4, work: 2.2.6). I don't
> understand this behavior, as I thought that both installations of Guix
> should use the same repositories, because I installed them the same way
> and I even use the same OS at the core. Furthermore I thought, that Guix
> installs packages as they have been provided by contributors and does
> not perform checks, whether some package is suitable on a system.
>
> Where is my understanding wrong?
>
> What can lead to this behavior?
You probably have different versions (commits) of guix. Due guix's commit
frequency, if you update guix at home, then update guix at work, then some
packages will probably have different versions.

> How can I get the newest versions of all things on all my machines?
guix pull && guix upgrade

To make sure all package versions match, write cron jobs to do this at the
same time on both machines.