Booting to raid over usb

From: Tonton
Subject: Booting to raid over usb
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 19:58:35 +0200

Hello, I tried making this work some time ago, gave up, but a few days ago I
found I could make this setup work in debian buster, so why not guix system?

The setup is I have a computer with an mdadm raid 10, here is the comment
from the attached config:
 ;;; Raid "10"
 ;; raid0 md127: sda1, sdb1, sde1
 ;; raid0 md126: sdc1, sdd1, sdf1
 ;; raid1 md125: raid-a raid-b

I also have a usb stick containing /boot.

I've tried grub-bootloader, grub-efi-bootloader and extlinux-bootloader. All
of them install fine, yet upon boot I get some variation of the same message
that read is happening in one of the disks in the raid, which means there's
nothing to read because the raid is not yet assembled. This happens before
any kind of boot menu, but in grub.

The exact message I get from this configuration is:
"""
GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd2'.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _
"""

'guix system vm --full-boot config.scm' yields a vm which boots as it should.

I'm at a loss for what to try next. Any help is highly appreciated.
--
    :)