Re: Reminder to remain civil

From: ison
Subject: Re: Reminder to remain civil
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 18:01:42 -0600

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, Tonton wrote:
> Quiliro, this is not about censorship. No one is taking away your right to
> express yourself. This channel however is not public, even though it comes
> close. This channel also has a set topic.
>
> This is just another drop in the ocean. No one will fix anything while the
> storm is raging.
>
> I think I can see where your anger stems from, it could be positive to
> have somewhere to talk about the issues that have surfaced over the last week
> or so, in addition to other similar things that come forth now and again.
>
> At the same time I've been watching the list and seeing the behaviour from
> some of the participants in these discussions makes me doubt if it would
> bring anything other than more hatred and aggression. And that makes me
> grieve.
>
> I hope you stop this fight, your energy is much needed elsewhere. Guix needs
> our cooperation and willingness to work together despite differences of
> opinion.
> --
>     :)

I think the point he's making is that politics was already introduced by the
article on the official Guix blog, and that it seems somewhat hostile to be
able to post politics on the official site and then say nobody can discuss it
He isn't the one who introduced politics to the Guix community. The founder
did that, and the current state of things is really just what should have been
expected by them from the very beginning: political arguing.

I think it's unreasonable for anyone to expect that you can publish articles
like that without any backlash. It just can't happen.

Are we going to see more petitions posted on the official Guix site in the
future? Which topics are ok and which ones are going too far?

Can anyone get a petition posted on the Guix site if they have 20+ signers?
Or does that only happen if Ludovic Courtès agrees with it?