Re: Translating texinfo commands in Guix manual (was: Re: How to build o

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Translating texinfo commands in Guix manual (was: Re: How to build only Guix Manual)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:44:40 +0200

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 05:17:43AM -0300, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> It seems the French Spacing consists in a space between last word in a
> sentence and ending punctuation, and only one space between sentences.
> If I've got it right, then it doesn't apply to Portuguese. We normally
> use no space between last word and ending punctuation, and also only
> one space between sentences.

I believe the Texinfo command @frenchspacing only affects whether
there is a single or double space after a sentence.  What you describe
sounds like you would want to use French spacing (although it is
apparently without effect in HTML output).

See the Texinfo manual (“info texinfo”), section
12.3.4 '@frenchspacing' VAL: Control Sentence Spacing.

I believe whether you put a space before … or quotes is *not* affected by
Texinfo’s @frenchspacing command, despite the real meaning of French spacing:
#: gnu/installer/newt/network.scm:125
msgid "Waiting for Internet access establishment..."
msgstr "Auf Herstellung des Internetzugangs wird gewartet …"

> Thanks for the suggestion, though.
>
> > I always use “see @ref{…}” because @xref and @pxref are only
> > translated in HTML output for me, but not when running “info guix.de”.
> > The info command looks more right and HTML looks the same.
>
> Testing the info output, it shows " *note <link>:: " (where <link> is
> the target link. Is this the same you see in not using “see @ref{…}” ?
>
> Regards,
> Rafael Fontenelle

This is hard to explain.  Both are wrong.  The proper solution might
be to fix Texinfo and use @pxref and @xref where appropriate, or
alternatively to get rid of useless @pxref and @xref.  For now though,
I see:

With @pxref, in HTML, “veja <link>” (translated), in `info' “*note <link>“.