Re: Problem logging in using GDM

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Problem logging in using GDM
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 22:58:56 +0200

Hi Tanguy

> So, symptoms are: when I try to log in using GDM, it goes black and…
> *bang* goes back to the login screen!
[…]
> Unfortunately, removing the gdm/gnome temp files [2] didn't solve the
> problem!
>
> [2]: sudo rm -rf /var/lib/gdm
>      rm -rf .cache/gnome-*
>      rm -rf .local/share/gnome-shell/application_state
>
> Any help welcome!

Pity, that would have been my suggestion, as this usually fixes any
problems with GDM and gnome-shell for me after upgrades.

The question here is: is it a failure of GDM or gnome-shell?  The exact
point where GDM starts gnome-shell is hard to pin-point, of course, but
the logs (even those on TTY1, Ctrl-Alt-F1) might tell you something
about whether it is gnome-shell that is crashing or if it doesn’t even
get that far.

Other problems may include a failure to start some user services via
dbus.

This is tricky and frustrating.  I hope someone here will come up with
an idea to make this more robust.

--
Ricardo