Volatile? argument seems to be ignored for system disk images

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Volatile? argument seems to be ignored for system disk images
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 23:55:01 +0200

I am trying to dive into some of the code that goes into generating
system disk images for guix, and I ran into the following:

It seems that commit 932e1f92404d917a91af28737d6631ec45b56875 did more
than what the commit log said:

> vm: Make sure disk image initrds load 'usb-storage.ko'.
>
> Reported by David Thompson <address@hidden>.
>
> * gnu/system/vm.scm (system-disk-image): Add usb-storage.ko to the
>   initrd.

This commit effectively made the `#:volatile?' kwarg to
`system-disk-image' redundant. Should we remove `#:volatile?', or should
it be passed along instead of #t?

Or am I misunderstanding something subtle here, and is everything as it
should be?

Regards,

Jelle