Installing GuixSD over existing system resulting in strange behavior

From: John D. Boy
Subject: Installing GuixSD over existing system resulting in strange behavior
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 20:51:26 +0000

I am trying to upgrade (or "lustrate" as the NixOS people say) a Debian system
running on a virtual server, roughly following existing guides by wingo and
ng0. I documented how I went about this here:
https://gist.github.com/jboynyc/ef312a686749de693dddc4f3a657a919

As I write in that document, initialization of GuixSD over the Debian system
seems to work, and I am even able to log into the system with ssh using the
provided key. Once I start doing something with the system, however, I start
getting strange "No such file or directory" errors about the guix command,
sshd, and any other binary I attempt to run. Booting from a live CD and poking
around on the disk shows that files are in fact present in the file system.

I have re-run the install at least five times, and each time I end up with the
system in an unusable state.

Any ideas what might be happening?