Re: Run GuixSD on Raspberry pi

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Run GuixSD on Raspberry pi
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:54:09 -0700

On 2019-10-23, Farshid Karimi wrote:
> I know that could install guix as a package manager on armhf
> architecture.Including raspberry pi board.
> But is there any way to install guixsd image on raspberry pi?
> I saw the gnu/system/install.scm and there is some little board that
> supported by it.

If you treat the non-free boot firmware like people treat BIOS/EFI on
x86 systems, and leave it up to the end-user to set that up, it's
probably technically possible.

There may be some drivers that require non-free firmware (e.g. wireless)
that will not work with Guix's linux-libre kernel.

The two options I see would be to add support for the boot configuration
used by the raspberry pi firmware, or for a little more flexible option,
configure the raspberry pi firmware to load u-boot and then use the
existing infrastructure to generate u-boot configuration files.

Since there's at least one major non-free component involved, I'm not
quite sure how it all sits with following the FSDG:

  https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

Though, one could treat that like BIOS/EFI on x86...

live well,
  vagrant