Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 22:08:01 +0100

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 27.10.19 um 20:06 schrieb Pierre Neidhardt:
>> I think it's useful to support multiple directories since it's likely
>> that users will work on multiple projects.
>>
>> See what I've done for Emacs-Guix.  The (configurable) file structure
>> looks like this:
>>
>> - ~/.guix-extra-profiles/my-project
>> - ~/.guix-extra-manifests/my-project
>> - ~/.guix-extra-channels/my-project
>
> AFAIU David (and this is what I meant, too), is to have the
> "develop.scm" (or ".guix-develop-profile.scm") in the project working
> tree. This would allow to easily maintain the profile together with the
> source and a simple workflow like
>
> cd /path/to/my-project
> guix develop
>
> or
>
> guix develop /path/to/my-project

Got it, we meant different things indeed.

>> Then I can do "guix-install-manifest", Emacs prompts me for a manifest
>> name in ~/.guix-extra-manifests (with completion), and does all the
>> necessary to install it in ~/.guix-extra-profiles.  It dumps the channel
>> specification in ~/.guix-extra-channels/my-project.
> IMHO this is a too emacs-centric approach. We should also have in mind
> those not using guix-mode and not even using emacs.

That was my point: it should not be Emacs-centric.

From the command line, we could do

  guix install-manifest my-project

and guix would lookup the user-define directories in
~/.config/guix/config.scm for instance.

Also I believe the Guix should store the channel specifications into the
profile when installed from a manifest.  It would make everything simpler.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/