Re: Emacs in multiple profiles

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Emacs in multiple profiles
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 01:29:18 -0400

Hello!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Great work, looks like you are getting close to the finish line! :)
>
>> I'll rework the 'gnu: emacs: Remove custom guix-emacs code.' patch, as
>> removing it means losing having the autoloads definitions loaded.
>> Someone in the #emacs channel suggested making use of the builtin
>> package.el code to take care of this.  To be continued :-)
>
> Indeed, this is the normal workflow using package.el.  See
> https://melpa.org/: the user is expected to call `package-initialize`
> from their init file.
>
> So the solution is quite simple I believe: add
>
> (require 'package)
> (package-initialize)

I tried calling this in my environment where EMACSLOADPATH was defined
(after launching emacs with "emacs -Q" to make sure the actual
site-start.el had not run), and it had no effect.

Looking at 'package.el' source code, it seems to expect directories for
the packages.  It could probably be workable, but in the meantime I've
hacked the existing site-start.el to do what is needed.

Doing so I've also speeded up loading of autoloads by 2-3 times :-).

Comments/testing welcome!

Maxim