Re: Unexpected results with Guix.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Unexpected results with Guix.
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 15:00:40 +0100

Jone,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice 写道:
Jone 写道:
I used to deal only with rpm package manager - there unnecessary
dependencies would be removed automatically.
How do I get the same result with Guix? I don't have much space on
the
partition =)

Very quick answer: ‘guix gc’.

OK, slightly longer answer since we can't find the car keys.

In this case, ‘guix gc -d’ is probably what you want. It will delete old profiles and all store entries not used by the remaining profile(s).

/gnu/store is like a cache/memoized store/whatever slightly inaccurante memory management metaphor you prefer: when you install a package, it is downloaded or built into the store, and a new profile created that refers to it.

When you uninstall a package with ‘guix package -r’, only that reference is removed[0], but the store entry is not. It might come in handy later, or be reused. To actually delete these entries forever, you need to collect garbage (that's what GC stands for). When you happen to install the exact same version of icecat in future, you'll have to download or build it again.

Apologies for this rushed explanation; we've found the keys :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: Actually, a new profile is created that doesn't refer to icecat anymore. Copy-on-write here, too.