Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Jonathan Frederickson
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 11:49:21 -0500

On Nov 3, 2019, at 9:24 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote
> Now, this would be very much stateful: you can’t tell in advance whether
> you’re going to build a new profile based on the current Guix, or
> whether you’re going to reuse a previously cached profile that could be
> arbitrarily old.  That doesn’t sound great.

What if something identifying the profile (directory name? config file?)
included info about the Guix revision it was built from? That way a profile
would be reused if it’s built from the same Guix revision, but if you switch
revisions it’d be rebuilt.

I’m not sure how this would interact with a profile built from packages in
multiple channels.