Re: ntpd: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: ntpd: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 15:23:01 -0500

On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 10:13:11PM +0100, Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli wrote:
> Benvenuti Guixers,
> i wanted to share a time riddle which i'm unable to solve.
> Actually my timezone is aligned to :
>   (timezone "Europe/Rome")
>
> Yet, system time is 1h 20m behind the official one
> ~$ date
> ven  1 nov 2019, 21.49.30, CET
> (23.09 at the time of writing)
>
> My system was installed with the graphical installer, guix version
> 1.0.1, Mate DE.

Hm... I'm not sure but I have a guess.

By default, ntpd will not change your clock if it is very wrong. If it
is only a couple minutes wrong, then ntpd will slowly adjust the time,
but if it is wrong by some large threshold, ntpd will simply give up.

However, you can run ntpd with '-g, --panicgate', which will allow ntpd
to make big adjustments to your clock. In Guix, this is called
'allow-large-adjustment?' and we made it the default in September 2019. [1]

Maybe your system has not been updated since then? As root, can you
check with `guix describe` and let us know exactly what it says?

If that's the root cause, try doing, as root, `guix pull && guix system
reconfigure [...] && reboot` to get the new NTP service. Or you could
try a more targeted fix by adding the 'allow-large-adjustment? #t' flag
to your config.scm. Please ask on IRC #guix if you need help :)

[1]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=08b4a10fa6bc535cd99d65f0233dd027153878eb