Re: `guix install protobuf:static` headers?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: `guix install protobuf:static` headers?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 16:34:05 +0100

Hi,

Thank you for the explanations.

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 at 18:19, Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote:

> zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> > What should be the correct behaviour of "out" vs "static"?
>
> 'static' outputs typically contain *only* the .a libraries, as you
> found.  If you want the headers, you need to add protobuf:out too.

I am still confused.

 $ guix install protobuf@2.6 -p /tmp/proto
 $ ls /tmp/proto/include/google/protobuf/

And 22 files live there. Headers found. :-)

However, is it expected that LIBRARY_PATH is not set?

 $ cat /tmp/proto/etc/profile
# Source this file to define all the relevant environment variables in Bash
# for this profile.  You may want to define the 'GUIX_PROFILE' environment
# variable to point to the "visible" name of the profile, like this:
#
#  GUIX_PROFILE=/path/to/profile ; \
#  source /path/to/profile/etc/profile
#
# When GUIX_PROFILE is undefined, the various environment variables refer
# to this specific profile generation.

export
PATH="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/m26p44mxy4k79gzy18nq2nivygrdmkm5-profile}/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"

> I think there were proposals to start using a 'dev' output for headers
> and such, but don't know if it got anywhere.

Moreover, the static libraries are also installed with simply
"protobuf@2.6.0:out".

I have tried to adapt the definition of protobuf adding a "lib" flag.
But it fails with "cycle detected in the references of". Roptat
explained on IRC how to track the issue and before investigating some
time, I would like to be sure to well understand. :-)

Thank you,.

All the best,
simon