Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 13:42:41 +0100

> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Oh my!!  I had no clue about `guix environment --root` :/
>> That's embarrassing... :p
>
> At least we learned something about discoverability of these options.
> :-)
>
>> This probably solves many issues.
>>
>> I guess we ought to update the cookbook with this!
>
> That’d be great!

Hmm, actually I don't really know where to put it.

The trick is that `guix environment --root` does no just use the
symlinked profile when it exists, it first builds the environment and
thus builds/downloads packages if necessary.

We don't  talk about guix environment in the cookbook chapter, so I'm
not sure if it's a good idea to introduce it there.

Maybe we first need to progress with regard to the command line
enhancements we are discussing in the other thread.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/