Re: `guix install protobuf:static` headers?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: `guix install protobuf:static` headers?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:14:19 +0100

Hi Marius,

Thank you for the explanations. It helps.

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 19:50, Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote:

> LIBRARY_PATH is only set if you include 'gcc' or 'gcc-toolchain' in the
> profile, and is generally only needed if you want to compile something.

It is still not fully clear to me. :-)
I need to experiment myself... I will re-hash your explanations, the
ones of roptat and nckx on IRC.

> >> I think there were proposals to start using a 'dev' output for headers
> >> and such, but don't know if it got anywhere.
> >
> > Moreover, the static libraries are also installed with simply
> > "protobuf@2.6.0:out".
>
> I can't find a protobuf@2.6.0 package, but at least for 2.6.1 there are
> no .a files in the default output.

My bad!

I finally found how to do. See the patch here [1].

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37988#47

> > I have tried to adapt the definition of protobuf adding a "lib" flag.
> > But it fails with "cycle detected in the references of". Roptat
> > explained on IRC how to track the issue and before investigating some
> > time, I would like to be sure to well understand. :-)
>
> The cyclic reference means something in the lib output references "out".
> To find out which, try grepping for the store hash of the "out" output.

I will try again. But because I managed to patch [1], it is now not a
priority for me. :-)

All the best,
simon