Re: jfs, jfsutils?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: jfs, jfsutils?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 17:07:48 +0100

Michael,

Michael Zucchi 写道:
Ok so it seems you're half done already, but I've been plodding away (and didn't check my email on my old computer) and have both building.

That's great! Shame about the duplicated effort, but such things happen.

I'm not really sure where to put it or how to compile each part (it just

file-systems.scm if possible. linux.scm is already a bloated grab-bag.

For now, you can test each package at a time by adding the variable (e.g ‘jfs_fsck/static’) as the last line of your current .scm file. This will make the file ‘evaluate to jfs_fsck/static’, so you can:

 $ guix build -f thefile.scm

You'll have to change that last line every time you want to change the package being built.

You'll need a Guix git checkout to get much further. If you haven't yet done so, read ‘Building from Git’ in the manual and bootstrap yourself some Guix.

Then you can copy your 3 package expressions to file-systems.scm, keeping it in alphabetical order or at least not making things worse. After making some small adjustments like adding a license: prefix, you can build your packages with:

 ~/guix$ ./pre-inst-env guix build jfsutils

build jfsutils, not jfs_fsck/static) and I used the slackware patches,
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Typo that should be the other way 'round?

Are you sure that LDFLAGS=-static is needed when using static-package? Here's my aborted static version:

++(define-public jfsutils/static
++  (static-package
++   (package
++     (inherit jfsutils)
++     (name "jfsutils-static")
++     (inputs
++      `(("util-linux" ,util-linux)
++        ("util-linux:static" ,util-linux "static"))))))

I got my patches from Debian, but they do the same job. There were others[0] but they weren't vital or relevant to Guix.

but attached is what i have at the moment. I used jfs_fsck for the static fsck because that's the default name but it could be fsck.jfs.

I started with a definitions of e2fsprogs and it's related functions from a linux.scm i found in /gnu/store and based it on that.

I've a number of built package 'attempts' building up - should I just run guix gc to clear them out or will that delete stuff i'm just going to need again?

It will by default remove the ‘build’ dependencies, yes.

I advise against GC'ing unless you desperately need space, and it won't come from a handful of relatively tiny stale JFSutils. Guix also deduplicates the store by default. At file level, even.

(I presume attachments work ok on this list.)

Sure.

;; COPYING is gpl3, the headers are gpl2+?

That's interesting.  Where'd you find gpl2+?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://sources.debian.org/patches/jfsutils/1.1.15-4/