practicality of custom config

From: Michael Zucchi
Subject: practicality of custom config
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 09:59:43 +1030

Morning,

From the manual:

   "It is also /customizable/: users can /derive/ specialized package
   definitions from existing ones, including from the command line (see
   Package Transformation Options

<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Package-Transformation-Options.html#Package-Transformation-Options>).
   "

But in reality how practical would it be to create a system which for example doesn't include pulseaudio?  I'm using slackware 64and it provides this option so ideally I don't want guix dragging it back in.

Looking through the package definitions it looks like considerable effort: either editing or using code to edit (aka deriving) every package that uses it.  For deriving changes it would require internal knowledge of the source package definition and would thus be rather fragile and difficult to maintain.

This is one example but there may be other system-wide options that one might want to customise in a similar way to services, is there a mechanism for this?