Re: jfs, jfsutils?

From: Michael Zucchi
Subject: Re: jfs, jfsutils?
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 17:50:59 +1030

On 6/1/20 5:34 am, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
   32-bit executables are
     disabled in
     my kernel and bootstrap.scm just assumes they work based on the
     architecture.
I believe this is related to the method guix is bootstrapped on x86_64
currently.
As far as I know there is a minimal bootstrap seed which is 32 bits,
and the final
bootstrap is cross-compiled to x86_64. The problem is that for the
sake of simplicity
the current bootstrap binaries were created with 32 bits in mind. I am
sure that they
would appreciate any help to get x86_64 bootstrapped directly. Does
that make sense?

Yep sure that matches my take on it.  I'm willing to help if anyone has any ideas.

Last week I tried editing bootstrap.scm to add and use a 64-bit section with my own files and checksums via my own server, but I couldn't get it to work so I just gave up.  It downloaded them ok but the checksum failed - despite them being correct as far as i could tell.  I didn't make static binaries though so maybe that's related.  It took so long to try out each iteration I also lost interest.